Pages

Saturday, July 3, 2010

Rainbow Girl

Back in Grade 1, in Kingston, Ontario, Mrs. Smith gave me the nickname "Rainbow Girl". I painted her a rainbow that hung on her classroom door for years after I'd moved to BC. She was the sweetest teacher and we still keep in touch. I'll always remember how she made us rainbow jello on the last day of school! I loved rainbows then and I love rainbows to this day!

I've been having fun this week, cutting out a rainbow of fabrics for my colour wheel quilt. Instead of keeping all the rainbow-y goodness to myself, I'm sharing it with you, thanks to a little prompting by Kate Conklin. Kate is an Australian quilter and designer who has just made a gorgeous quilt with Cloud9's Beyond the Sea organic fabrics. You should go check it out! Kate, this post's for you!

I'm using the colour wheel quilt pattern from Joelle Hoverson's Last-Minute Patchwork + Quilted Gifts and it calls for 52 different monochromatic prints. So far, I've cut out just over half that. I've been so happy watching the rainbow come together. Most of the fabrics are from my stash, but I've bought a few extra pinks and purples with this project in mind. It hardly takes any fabric at all (just 4'x12') for each wedge, so you need less than a fat eighth of each colour.

Have any of you made this quilt?

4 comments:

  1. I have not, but I enjoy seeing them come together in blogland! I'm not so much into the literal rainbow of fabric, but I love all of the colours used in a colour-spectrum quilt. This wheel rainbow quilt is so much fun, though, I may just have to try it one day....I will definitely need to stock up on purples, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't made one, either (yet?) - but I love LOVE them. Looking forward to seeing yours come together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't made this quilt but it looks like yours will be beautiful! I haven't acquired enough scraps yet, but I'm sure it wont be too long. Thanks for the link to my site. By the way, my kids would love some of that rainbow jelly (that's what we call it in Australia) - so fun.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails