Pages

Friday, September 28, 2012

Friday Felicities - My QuiltCon Challenge Block made it!

Mondrian-inspired QuiltCon Challenge block by Holly Broadland, photo by Elizabeth Hartman
I'm so excited! My QuiltCon challenge block is one of twenty blocks that Elizabeth Hartman selected for the raffle quilt! After seeing the display of nearly 400 amazing blocks on The Modern Quilt Guild's blog this past month, I'm honoured to have my simple Mondrian-inspired block selected for the quilt. I've been considering writing a tutorial (it would be my first!) for this block. Do you think people would be interested? It's pretty straightforward, but I haven't seen any tutorials out there that walk you through it.
Thank you, Amy, for emailing me at 4:00am to let me know that the post with the final four blocks was up and that my block was in the group! Good thing I've already registered for QuiltCon so I can go down and see this quilt in the show! Guess I'd better work on getting some plane tickets, eh? This is a Friday Felicity indeed!
Friday Felicities is a new linky party by my VMQG friend Felicity. It celebrates the positives in our lives and I think it's a great way to wrap up the week. I'm linking up today for the second time.
Other felicities on my mind this week:
1) Eleanor turned a year and a half old yesterday! She's very affectionate and loves to give hugs and kisses. 

2) Sophia is five and a half today! (yes, the girls have birthdays just one day apart) We went to her school's open house last night and I got to see her writing book. She's written, "I love dinos. I'm Sophia. Do you know I love you, Mom & Dad?" If you've got older kids, tell me, how long will she stay this sweet?
3) I got happy mail twice this week! My Heather Ross free fat quarter from Spoonflower arrived and my October fabric for the Fab Bee came super early. I get to make a Super Mario block for Eryn! Now to decide which character to make...
Have a wonderful Friday! 

24 comments:

  1. Congrats Hol! Sometimes simpler is better! Very cool! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!! Congrats Holly, how exciting!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome news about your block--congratulations!! And happy half-birthdays to Eleanor and Sophia!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so utterly fantastic Holly!!!! Woohoo. VMQG Represent!

    ReplyDelete
  5. yay, congratulations! it's a beautiful block and i'm sure it will be a stunning quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. VMQG represent indeed - that is fantastic, Holly! Thanks for sharing all of your beautiful felicities this week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is wonderful news! Congratulations Holly!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats! Your block is wonderful! Do a tutorial, I would be interested! Some kids stay pretty sweet a long time. Payton had to do an all about me thing and it was up on the wall at the open house yesterday. One of the things she had to write about was someone who is one of her Heros, she wrote about Sam! It made this Mama so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your seams are so straight! Lovely block.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on the block! I love it. And I think kids stay sweet for ages, they just might not tell you in front of their friends. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations holly! It's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. congrats that your block is chosen, it really is amazing and will be great in that raffle quilt!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats Holly! This is very cool and I can't wait to see it at QuiltCon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's so awesome Holly! You should definitely write a tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was so thrilled to see your block selected - I love it and anything that is Mondrian inspired. What a thrill that you'll actually see it in person in the quilt. I think a tutorial is an excellent idea!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very exciting news, Hol..big congrats to a BIG modern quilt fan and leader in the "movement".....It's such fun to see the way this guild and modern quilting have added to your life!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, and those little girls are pretty cute too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Super cool, Holly! Congratulations!! And hooray for half-birthdays and happy mail :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's fantastic about the block - and I have to say that I'm impressed with your piecing! Did you use foundation paper for that bad boy or are you super-human at seaming very narrow strips? I don't think anyone would turn down a tutorial. :-)

    Just finished catching up. You've been busy! Looks like the retreat and your trip to Seattle were blasts...!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely block...was going through the Quiltcon blocks and chanced upon yours. It looks strikingly beautiful, clean lines, simple yet stands out in the crowd. love it :)
    Did you write a tutorial on this. Want to make a Mondrian quilt for my sister for a while now. Do let me know if you go about writing a tutorial. No worries, if not...
    smiles
    leena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leena!

      Thanks very much! I did not yet write a tutorial for this block, but I wanted to, so thanks for the reminder! I hope to write one in the new year!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails